Commonwealth Journal

Local News

July 1, 2013

Laurel man saves son before being electrocuted during swim

Mishap occurs at Garland Bend

(Continued)

Burnside —

“He had the forethought to shove the kid past the ladder,” said Godbey of Short. “(The child) didn’t touch it.”
Godbey said the cause of death was ruled low-voltage electrocution, enough to stop Short’s heart.
Pulaski County Public Safety Director Tiger Robinson described the incident as a “freak accident.”
Despite the rarity of this type of accident — “It’s the first time it’s happened that I know of,” said the coroner — Godbey did warn others to be careful with how they handle electronics around water.
“It’s never a good thing to have anything plugged up on a dock,” he said. “I know they use those fish finders, but when you’re done, you need to pack up your stuff and move it out of the way.” 

Text Only
Local News
News Live
AP Video
Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando
Facebook
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks