Commonwealth Journal

Local News

July 1, 2013

Laurel man saves son before being electrocuted during swim

Mishap occurs at Garland Bend

(Continued)

Burnside —

“He had the forethought to shove the kid past the ladder,” said Godbey of Short. “(The child) didn’t touch it.”
Godbey said the cause of death was ruled low-voltage electrocution, enough to stop Short’s heart.
Pulaski County Public Safety Director Tiger Robinson described the incident as a “freak accident.”
Despite the rarity of this type of accident — “It’s the first time it’s happened that I know of,” said the coroner — Godbey did warn others to be careful with how they handle electronics around water.
“It’s never a good thing to have anything plugged up on a dock,” he said. “I know they use those fish finders, but when you’re done, you need to pack up your stuff and move it out of the way.” 

Text Only
Local News
News Live
AP Video
Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Senators Push to End Hamas Threat in Cease-Fire A Young Victim's Premonition, Hug Before MH17 Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands
Facebook
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks