Somerset — The Somerset Fire Department was called at about 4 p.m. Thursday to a fire at a home at 532 Ogden Street in Somerset. According to SFD Chief Junior Fortenberry, the blaze started in the basement of the home, but the flame was kept at bay by the nearby water heater when the water heater’s lines busted due to the heat. Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control and clear the home of smoke relatively quickly. No one was home when the blaze occurred. Firefighters remained on the scene for about 50 minutes. The Somerset Police Department and Somerset-Pulaski County EMS responded to the scene as well.
- Local News
City agencies dealing with gas leak
From the Somerset Police Department:If you use East University Drive between KY 1247 and KY 39 or live in the area, your drive may be affected by a gas pipeline leak.
Local man receives 12 1/2 years in DUI death of teen
An entire courtroom on Thursday was moved to tears by parents who spoke of the loss of their 19-year-old son during a sentencing for the man who pleaded guilty in his death.
Local firefighter dies from injuries suffered in fall at skating rink
The community’s move to rally around a local volunteer firefighter, nurse, and single mother injured while roller skating has taken on a more tragic note.
Rising lake levels are improving area fishing conditions
The rising level of Lake Cumberland is covering banks that have been bare for seven years and increasing habitat for game fish such as bass, bluegill and crappie.
Pulaski gets small share of road money
Some $200 million worth of road-building projects in Pulaski County during the past decade likely is the reason this county got only a tiny share in the two-year road plan hammered out by the General Assembly during the session that adjourned late Tuesday.
- A Wheelie Good Idea
- Burnside amends city water rates; eyes building inspections
- Local orchards escape damage from freakish spring snow
- Judge rules for city in overtime case
- State road plan haggling won’t hinder bypass widening
- More Local News Headlines
- City agencies dealing with gas leak