Somerset — The area of downtown Somerset near Dairy Queen saw a flurry of activity on a wet Wednesday afternoon as a house caught on fire. The residence at 102 Oak Street, home of a Mary McKnight, was the scene of the incident, which started close to 4:30 p.m. McKnight was believed to be out of town at the time of the fire, as of the information available at presstime. No specific cause has yet been made available for the blaze, to which the Somerset Fire Department, Somerset Police, and a Pulaski County Sheriff’s deputy responded
- Local News
1966 Batmobile is star of July Cruise
he Caped Crusader’s crime-fighting ride was on display this weekend during the July Somernites Cruise.And boy, did it draw a crowd.
Somerset Schools will fight ruling
The recent hearing regarding the conflict with county schools over non-resident students might not have gone Somerset’s way, but that doesn’t mean they’re done fighting.
Heated sidewalks provide sparks for workers
A heated sidewalk to melt snow and ice was “quite the thing” a half century ago in a small town like Somerset. This town’s first and only electrically warmed sidewalk was installed facing Fountain Square alongside First and Farmers National Bank when the bank’s downtown headquarters building was constructed in 1963-64.As snow fell, the warm sidewalk melted a walkway about 2 feet wide alongside the bank. It was the talk of the town; quite a gimmick.
- Rep. Turner miffed with secret deal to privatize General Burnside Park
- 1 arrested, 1 wanted in home invasion
- Authorities continue search for jail work detail escapee
- State courts going digital
- Fond recollections of Pulaski’s gasoline alley
- Neighborhood Watch meeting held tonight
- Somerset Mall ready for ‘Friday Night Thunder'
- More Local News Headlines
- 1966 Batmobile is star of July Cruise