A Somerset man lost his life in a house fire Thursday, despite valiant efforts by firefighters who pulled him from the burning home.
Arthur Jackson, 51, of 312 Happy Circle Drive in Somerset, succumbed to his injuries Thursday afternoon soon after he was freed from the building.
Jackson was trapped in a room located off the living room of the home, which is where the fire is thought to have started at around 1 p.m. Thursday, according to David Volz, chief of Parkers Mill Volunteer Fire Department, which responded to the fire.
Volz said a Pulaski County sheriff’s deputy was the first on the scene and reported that Jackson was trapped in the home. The deputy attempted to enter the building through the basement but couldn’t get to Jackson because of the blaze.
“Once he got to the top of the basement stairs, he couldn’t go any further,” said Volz.
Pulaski County Public Safety Director Tiger Robinson, who also responded to the fire, said emergency workers had trouble visualizing the situation when they first arrived because of the rolling, thick smoke that was coming off of the blaze.
“You couldn’t see the truck for the house,” said Robinson. “It was really a dangerous situation for everyone.”
Volz said firefighters immediately worked to rescue Jackson from the burning home.
“They started rescue operations right then,” Volz said.
Firefighters entered the home through the front door, but couldn’t access the room Jackson was trapped in through a doorway. They broke through the wall and went through the rafters of the home to get to Jackson.
“It was a team effort,” said Robinson. “These guys are trained to do (things) like that ... They didn’t waste their time trying to fight the fire, and they went right through to get in (to Jackson).”