A local grocery store was shut down for several hours Tuesday evening while emergency responders worked to contain a large gasoline spill at the store’s fuel pumps.
Emergency personnel received a report of a fuel spill at Kroger South, located in the Grand Central shopping center on South U.S. 27, at around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
“The fuel spill occurred (Tuesday) evening as a delivery was in process,” said Tim McGurk, with public affairs for the Kroger Mid-South Division, in an email. “The local fire department and (Environmental Protection Agency) officials were notified immediately and we appreciate their rapid response.”
Firefighters with the Somerset Fire Department arrived to the area first, and once there, they saw that a significant amount of gasoline had been spilled during a delivery to the store’s fuel station, which sent the flammable liquid downhill into the store’s parking lot and into the drainage system there.
Kelly Robinson, with the Somerset Fire Department, said they began work immediately to stop the spread of the gasoline. Robinson estimated that at least 100 gallons of gas had spilled in the mishap — which he said may have been caused by a mechanical malfunction on a delivery truck.
“It’s probably more than that,” said Robinson,” but as of right now, we’re still uncertain how much spilled.”
The gas spread to where several vehicles were parked, and emergency workers roped off several parking rows while the scene was cleaned.
“We had several cars that we had to move,” said Robinson.
Firefighters had to push the vehicles clear of the spill site before turning them on.
The store was also closed for several hours while the site was cleaned.
“Nothing is more important than the safety of our customers and associates so, as a precaution, our store was closed for about four hours during the clean-up process,” McGurk said in the email.