State fire officials are pleading with residents to make sure their homes have working smoke detectors as yet another life was lost in an early morning fire Thursday.
“If there’s anything you can spend on your family, buy a smoke detector,” said Pulaski County Public Safety Director Tiger Robinson. “It is the gift of life.”
Robinson, along with the Faubush and Nancy Volunteer Fire Departments, responded to a report of a structure fire in the Jabez area of Russell County just after midnight Thursday.
Robinson said the home, located on McClendon Road, was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
And soon after that, they discovered that the resident, identified by Kentucky State Police as Porter Cain, 49, had succumbed to injuries sustained in the blaze, along with his pet cat.
Cain’s home is located in a land-locked area of Russell County that is accessible by emergency services by way of the Pulaski County side of Lake Cumberland.
The Russell County Coroner’s office responded to the scene, and an autopsy had been scheduled Thursday to determine a cause of death.
Fire officials are investigating the blaze, but a space heater was reportedly found among the rubble of Cain’s mobile home. KSP stated that no foul play is suspected, and investi-gators have indicated that no signs of smoke detectors were found at Cain’s home.
The tragedy occurred after the Kentucky Fire Commission released a statement Wednesday encouraging all residents to keep smoke detectors in their homes.
Robinson echoed those thoughts.
“I’ve been doing this since 1985, and I’ve never pulled a body out of a house that had a working smoke detector,” said Robinson.
Kentucky Fire Commission Executive Director Ronnie Day said in the statement that the use of smoke detectors alerts residents to danger and gives them more time to escape before they are overcome by smoke or trapped by flames.