Commonwealth Journal

February 26, 2014

Double Trouble

Staff Report
Commonwealth Journal

 
Two fires broke out within minutes of each other on Wednesday afternoon in different parts of Pulaski County. At close to 3 p.m. firefighters from Science Hill, Eubank and Dabney were summoned to a residential blaze on Old Bull Road east of Nancy. The home of Luther and Shirley Roberts was devastated in a fire. The homeowners and their three foster children were at home at the time, said daughter-in-law Kim Roberts, but all managed to get out safely. At around the same time Wednesday, firefighters with Haynes Knob and White Lily were called to 121 Hwy. 769 Loop, located about four miles out Rush Branch Road. Homeowner Clyde Goff was home when the fire began around the home’s chimney, and a family member opted to use a bulldozer to tear into the hottest part of the wall and the chimney to allow firefighters better access to the flames. Everyone got out safely, and firefighters stayed at the scene of the fire until around 6 p.m. Wednesday.