The Somerset Fire Department and Tateville Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the fire.
“They (firefighters) had a hose line there but they were focused on the rescue,” Volz said. “That was their first priority.”
Jackson was quickly taken out of the home through a window, and emergency workers gathered around Jackson to keep his vitals stable as neighbors and his family, including his wife, watched.
Volz said Jackson’s wife, who was identified by a family member as Nellie Jackson, wasn’t home when the fire started.
Robinson said Jackson appeared stable when EMS workers placed him in the ambulance to be taken to Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital, but he was pronounced dead by the Pulaski County Coroner’s office at 2:50 p.m.
Chief Deputy Coroner Anthony Gossett said Jackson most likely died from smoke inhalation.
“He (Jackson) inhaled a lot of super-heated gases,” said Robinson. “The temperature in there had to be between 600 and 700 degrees.”
Fire officials said Arthur Jackson had recently returned home from the hospital for treatment, which may have compromised his ability to get out of the home when the fire started.
As soon as Jackson was out of the home, firefighters worked to control the blaze.
“They (firefighters) knocked it down real quick but it had progressed into the attic a little bit,” said Volz.
The house is considered a total loss. Volz said the State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the blaze. The fire may have been caused by an electrical issue.
After Arthur Jackson was pulled from the home, an additional ambulance was called to the scene to ensure the firefighters were okay.
“Some of them got a little hot,” said Volz. “That was rather strenuous, trying to get him (Arthur Jackson) up and out of the window.”
Volz said the firefighters checked out fine. The fire departments took some time to douse the remaining hot spots in the home and they left the scene at around 4 p.m. Thursday.