Hot rods and muscle cars will bring the heat to the mall parking lot Friday night for the monthly 'Friday Night Thunder' block party. The event is billed as the 'block party that takes you back' each Somernites Cruise weekend, attracting hundreds of classics and customs shined up to show off.
The event runs 5-9 p.m., with live music, great food, inflatables and entertaining activities each month.
• Headliner band Frontier is back for their third appearance at a block party. In their London, Ky., hometown, brothers Ethan and Andrew Worley, along with their cousin Caleb Caudill began writing songs and performing at a very young age as an acoustic trio. They were in demand at larger venues, which prompted the young men to begin performing as a full band. Jon Watts, a fiery drummer from northern Kentucky, joined the group.
Since those days, Frontier has released two albums and shared the stage with such greats as Montgomery Gentry, Restless Heart, Exile, Sundy Best to name a few. Friday night, the audience will enjoy a mix of tunes influenced by John Mayer, The Police and Eric Clapton. The free show runs 5-9 p.m., near the mall's rear main entrance.
• Take your camp chairs, quilts and blankets and a lap to enjoy a plate of barbeque, ribeye sandwich, giant funnel cake, flavorful shaved ices from vendors R&D Concessions, Chuckies BBQ and Silcox Ice.
• Follow the squeals and kids' laughter to Jumping Jacks inflatables to the back field for a turn down the giant slide, obstacle course, bouncers.
• Shoe Sensation will set-up a cornhole game and invite the crowd to play and win prizes, including a store gift card.
• The Somernites Cruise team will show off their raffle car for 2019. It's a 1932 Ford Roadster. This drop-top street rod features a Flat Head V8, C4 Transmission, a Heidt's Super Ride front end. Tickets will also be sold for a Gatormade 20' enclosed car trailer. Both prizes will be awarded on Saturday, October 26th in downtown Somerset. Somernites gear - tags, tees, caps - will also be available at their souvenir trailer.
• New bands this year include Five Below Band on July 26 and Sweet Fever August 23.
The family-friendly Friday Night Thunder block party co-sponsored by Don Franklin Somerset Family of Dealerships and Somerset, is free at stoplight no. 23 on South U.S. 27 at Somerset Mall.