Two young athletes injured in a violent crash last week continue to recover from their injuries.
Jacobi Gilmore, 16, and Will Hinton, 17, remain at the University of Kentucky Medical Center some five days after they sustained serious injuries in a car accident in Somerset. 
“Both young men have a ways to go,” said Somerset High School football coach Robbie Lucas, who emphasized that both teenagers are improving. 
Gilmore, a sophomore, and Hinton, a senior, are both starters for the Briar Jumpers football team. 
Gilmore and Hinton were extricated from Hinton’s 2009 Chevrolet Impala Thursday afternoon by emergency officials after the car was T-boned by a tractor trailer at the intersection of East Ky. 80 and Barnett Street in the city limits. 
Coach Lucas was still at Clark Field Thursday after his team’s football practice had come to a close when the accident happened.
Lucas, along with several other football players, watched as Hinton and Gilmore were attended to by emergency workers after the crash occurred shortly before 5 p.m. Thursday. The crash happened after Hinton apparently attempted to pull across the eastbound lanes of Ky. 80 and pulled into the path of a Peterbilt tractor trailer that was hauling straw. The Hinton vehicle struck a third vehicle, a white Jeep Cherokee, which was waiting to turn left from East Ky. 80 onto Barnett Street, before it came to rest in the westbound lanes of East Ky. 80.
The driver of the Jeep appeared uninjured in the crash and the driver of the tractor trailer was transported to Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital to be checked out.
Gilmore, according to Lucas, had bleeding to the brain and a collapsed lung as a result of the accident. Gilmore was unconscious for several minutes after the crash. Hinton sustained a broken pelvis and lacerations to the facial area, according to Lucas. 
Lucas said Gilmore had been “up and about” Monday in a wheelchair, and he said Gilmore was able to see Hinton. 
Hinton underwent surgery to his hip Monday, and Lucas said he’s still in a considerable amount of pain but he’s recovering. 
“They said surgery went well,” said Lucas, who made the trip to Lexington today for Hinton’s surgery and left his team’s practice in the hands of his assistant coaches. 
Lucas said Gilmore and Hinton’s teammates are dealing with the situation well.
“Thank God they’re resilient,” Lucas said. “They seem as well as they can be.”
A spokesperson at the UK Medical Center said Gilmore was listed in fair condition as of Monday afternoon. An updated condition on Hinton, who had been listed in serious condition over the weekend, was not available as of press time Monday. 

Recommended for you