Southwestern High School senior Alexa Smiddy signed to play her college basketball at Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, Tennessee. Smiddy has been the floor general for the Southwestern girls basketball team for the past several seasons, and has played a big part of the Lady Warriors' success since playing up to the varsity level since her seventh-grade year. With her senior season still ahead of her, Smiddy has already scored 1,162 career points, hit 167 three-pointers, and pulled down 322 rebounds. As a sophomore point guard in 2019, Alexa Smiddy scored 14 points and hit four treys in the Lady Warriors' KHSAA State Tournament quarterfinal win over North Laurel. On hand for Smiddy's signing to Trevecca was, front row from left, Gary Smiddy, Alexa Smiddy and Sherry Smiddy; back row from left, Brittany Combs, Junior Molden, Ayden Smiddy, Austin Smiddy, Savannah Smiddy, Alyse Smiddy, Adison Corder and Michelle Marcum.
This Week's Circulars
McKenzie Hargis, age 35, of Bronston, Ky passed away November 29, 2020. Private family services was held at Southern Oaks Funeral Home.
Glen Coon, age 81, of Somerset, Ky passed away Tuesday, December 1, 2020. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date. Southern Oaks Funeral Home is entrusted with the arrangements for Glen Coon.
Ginelle Jones, age 33, of Somerset, Ky passed away Tuesday, December 2, 2020. Private graveside service will be held at Southern Oaks Cemetery. Southern Oaks Funeral Home is entrusted with the arrangements for Ginelle Jones.
Cherokee Couch age 25, of Somerset, Kentucky passed away November 28, 2020. Private family services will be held at Southern Oaks Funeral Home. Southern Oaks Funeral Home is entrusted with the arrangements for Cherokee Couch.
- Bronston's Lighted Winter Wonderland: Keith and Terry Frank spread Christmas Joy with their own 'Virtual Light Show'
- Charred Oak Whiskey Grill brings creative dining concept to downtown Somerset
- Driving Away the Cold
- Minor injuries reported in Friday morning wreck involving Candido's Towing vehicle
- Burnside man accused of assault, criminal mischief from bad acid trip
- Two sought by Lincoln County detectives in connection to murder investigation
- Maddy Foster named Player of the Year
- Somerset Christian School to reopen after federal court win
- SPEDA board member Cody Gibson says he is stepping away for other pursuits
- Monticello couple arrested on two 2016 armed robberies and one burglary